Thursday, August 6, 2009

Important Warnings About Energy-Efficient Light Bulbs

Energy-efficient light bulbs, while saving money, can also be dangerous if they break, because they contain toxic mercury. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has issued the following advice on what to do if a low-energy light bulb breaks.

— Evacuate the room for 15 minutes, taking care not to step on the shards of glass littering the floor.

— Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clear up the mess as the machine's sucking action could spread toxic mercury droplets around the house.

— Put on rubber gloves and sweep the debris into a dustpan.

— Place the remains in a plastic bag and seal it.

— Do not put the bag in a normal household dustbin.

— Instead, place it in a municipal recycling bin for batteries which also contain mercury or take it to a cou9ncil dump where it can be disposed of safely.

— Try not to inhale dust from the broken bulb.

Back to homepage

No comments: